As I was munching on my morning tuna fish sandwich (I’ve been up since 5:00 a.m., so 9:00 is practically lunch time – no judging), I was engaging in one of my favorite pastimes: Googlestalking. This was a term foisted upon me by a family member (who shall go unnamed) who thought it was weird that I spend so much time reading about people on the internet. The fact is, the reason I blog and read blogs, is that I love reading about interesting people doing interesting things. I love the connection in the blogosphere where I get to “meet” cool people and get inspired by all they do. There are some amazing people out there – and I intend to Googlestalk every one of them!
This week, I’m obsessing about some very cool people.
1. Lizzie Hawker: The 35 year-old English endurance athlete who holds the World 24 Hour record with 153 miles, has won UTMB 4 times, and followed it up with a record-breaking run of the 200 mile trail from Mt. Everest to Kathmandu – mostly alone! She is fast, tough, and BRAVE!
2. Diana Nyad: The 62 year-old American swimmer who will attempt to swim from Cuba to Florida this summer. She was the world’s best female swimmer from 1969-1979, so she was one of my heroes when I was swimming competitively as a kid. Now, she is one of my heroes for never giving up, or thinking she is too old to do something great.
3. Mark Kreuzer and Yamilet Nieto: The couple who started Trail and Ultrarunning after spending 9 months traveling around the US, running trails and racing. We have all dreamt of taking off on the open road for an extended period of time, doing what we love with the people we love, but how many of us ever have the guts to do it? Well, Mark and Yami did. And the cool benefit for all of us? They started an awesome online website as a place for us “Googlestalkers” and adventure athletes to connect and learn. Their dream is our gain.
4. Jill Brack: The New York city mom who started the gluten-free cookie company, Glow Gluten Free, after her daughter was diagnosed with celiac disease and couldn’t eat regular treats. I love stories about entrepreneurs, and people chasing their dreams, but it is extra cool when it is a mom turning lemons into lemonade!
5. Linda Francis Lee: Last, but most important, my sister, best friend, and bestselling author. Linda lives in Manhattan, writing by day, and living the coolest life the rest of the time. I love to live vicariously through her, reading her posts and tweets about the writer’s life, trips to Europe, awesome restaurants, and fun and interesting people she meets in NYC. Linda has managed to do what she loves while living a fun, fearless life!
Who inspires you?