It now seems a tradition (though I’ve only done it twice), to put every random topic I had nowhere else to put, in a Friday post. Frankly, the way my brain works, I could make every post just one long list of random topics, but I do try to control myself – except on Friday. So here goes.
1. This morning I slept in until
Okay, that’s not entirely true – I stayed in bed until 6:03. My son had a late function at school last night, so I was late to bed. I told myself, no alarm, just get up whenever. 4:00. 4:42. 5:21. 5:41. 6:03. Enough. I HATE that I can’t sleep in even if I stay up late. Agggghhhh!!
But I am a very good napper.
2. With it getting warmer, and me running and swimming all the time, I am in desperate need of a new sunscreen. This is what I have been using…
but I sweat soooooooooo much (think: drowned cat in a running skirt and visor), that the stuff is off in 20 minutes – plus, it makes me sweat even more. As much as I love a crocodile handbag, I don’t want to look like one. Please help me, sunscreen experts!
3. As I said above, I’m doing a lot of swimming in hopes of being able to swim the Catalina Channel soon. The pool I go to is huge – 2 pools, 16 lanes – but it still gets pretty crowded, necessitating a lot of lane sharing.
After 10 years as a competitive swimmer, I am used to sharing a lane with 6-10 people – no problem. But, for some reason, there seems to be very little pool etiquette observed at this facility. Almost every day, while 2 or 3 of us are sharing a lane for an hour of solid, hard, non-stop lap swimming, someone hops into our lane to kick, float, or work on his stroke. What? This is usually accompanied by a cheerful, “Don’t mind me. Just swim around me.” Really? Come on. It is impossible to get any rhythm going when every 150 meters you have to stop to get around the floater.
Please, if you swim, try to pick a lane with others doing activities comparable to yours. If you want to kick for an hour, join others who are kicking. I just seems like common sense.
4. I think I will go ahead and race in a 100k next weekend. Okay, maybe not race, but run hard. The weekend following, I’m going to do the 72 mile Western States training weekend, so I think it will be great to have 2 tough weekends in a row. We’ll see. My motivation for the 100k is waning, but I know it will be good for me. Time to toughen up!
5. I’m recording a podcast for Trail Runner Nation today on the Art of Pacing.
I am super excited – love to talk about anything related to running!
What are you doing this weekend?